Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, April 7, 2014

Skiing and Holi

This past weekend was a total blast with skiing and Holi celebrations.

More than 20" of snow came down pouring as a spring storm in the Sierras so we decided to make one last trip skiing to the Lake Tahoe area. We were season pass holders for 2 seasons at Sierra-At-Tahoe (SAT) and it is the resort Rian first started learning skiing at. This was Rian's third season and we wanted to go at least one day to SAT. The start was a bit rocky. Instead of waking up at 4:30am, we were asleep till 5:30am. Both Amit and me made the same mistake in setting the alarm - we modified our "weekday" alarm. Sigh. Thanks to that tho, Rian and I were well rested as we go an extra hr of zzzs. The drive started at 6:15am and we reached the parking lot at 9:45am. We were fairly quick and were at the lift at 10:30am. From the very first blue slope, the confidence in Rian kept soaring. Terrain was a bit icy in the morning, but softened up just the right bit. We did Marmot and then headed straight to Dogwood. This is a run I found really tough to ski down last year. Rian's first run was a bit rough and he kept his wedge really solid. Then Amit worked with him 1-on-1 while I went for 2 runs on this slope. What Rian did in that run was amazing. By the time I was done with 2, Rian and Amit were down and waiting for me. He was super happy with his own speed. He went up with me next while Amit went to get some of his black runs in. Rian skied as fast as I did on this downhill!

Definitely a proud parent day, and it lasted all throughout. Rian was very keen on all 3 of us skiing together as a family and we got a fair bit of that in Saturday. Amit and I tagged off at lunch so both got a couple of extra solo runs. These really help. What helped more is Rian challenging me: Mumma take my video, take my video! Only problem was he was way too fast for me! Amit came to rescue and took this amazing long video. At 3:30pm Rian and I were down at the bottom and we were "well done". Amit had a blast on his blacks and was all spent too. Rian got a gift magnet.



On Sunday morning I finished off groceries in the morning as the boys took care of each other. We were out ~noon to play Holi at Stanford. There was no water this year because of the drought. It is definitely the socially responsible thing to do, but Holi was just not the same. A welcome change was Rian's attitude to Holi. Daddy definitely helped by talking to Rian about Holi and how we should have fun by chasing people and coloring them. Rian's buddy Sreekar was very enthusiastic and they were happy to see us. We also had our Gujju Gang friends. Namrata, Zoya, Zubin too joined. We all had a blast. Rian kept running to the color station to get more color and chased uncles and aunties. Most awesome was Amit picking me up on his shoulder and dancing :-) Way to go my Superman! 


No comments:

Post a Comment