Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, May 11, 2009

Just keep swimming

Last Friday (5/8/09) was Rian's first time in a swim class. Rian had just crossed the 10 month mark. They call the class "Water Babies", and the child is introduced to water with the help of song and dance, accompanied by one parent. We enrolled at Santa Clara Swim School. Amit and I were taking turns, and this was my Friday. When we got there, I realized this was an open pool, not covered. It was 10:30am and the sun was pretty hot. I'd forgotten to carry Rian's "nice" sunscreen that does not burn the eyes. So I borrowed sunscreen from the pool people and applied all over to Rian. Also, I wasn't sure if Rian should be wearing any clothes, so Rian was dressed in only a reusable swim diaper. I realized later I should have made Rian were the UV protection sun suit I bought for him. I think Rian was cold although it was a heated pool. Also this was smack in the middle of his morning nap.



And off we went, into the water. From the moment we went in, to the moment Rian got out of the water, he was crying constantly. He took a few breaks, when he was stuck to me and his head nestled into my neck (very cute, me thinks!). Rian was given a floater like a noodle to keep under his arms but I think that was hurting his hands. So we got a *pink* floating tube for Rian. We sang lots of songs and did some antics including putting Rian's head under water.

Finally the half hour was over and Rian was happy again, stuck to me. I took him into the women's shower room. I must mention: I could not have pulled this one off without Amit's mom. There were warm showers and Rian felt better once I gave him a shower and rubbed him warm. Then it was clothes and all warm warm ... by the time we were done and outside, Rian was in a playful mood again.

I'm thinking it was the first time for Rian, and his reaction was thanks to the water being cold, the sunscreen stinging him, and the being-in-the-water-for-the-first-time scare as well. It seems HD is not too keen on taking him since MIL mentioned Rian's getting dark. 10:30am in this almost summer weather can get pretty darn hot. So maybe we'll withdraw him from class, maybe HD will take him next Friday, we'll see... Up next, Rian's first camping trip :-) update!

1 comment:

  1. hey mamta, nice to see u back to blogging. A tag for u: Around the world in 80 clicks: 5 things I love about being a Mom

    ReplyDelete