Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 23, 2007

To ski or not to ski

... that was the question. We went for a 3 day trip to Tahoe, with Vidyut and Sarika. Amit was planning to ski on Sunday, 23rd December. Numerous times during the week he'd ask me "Will you ski with me?" And I'd go... "I don't think I should." Even the nurse practitioner at the first ob/gyn visit told me to stay away from downhill skiing. My personal trainer too said "Try cross-country skiing for a change, avoid downhill skiing, your knee is still recovering and you're pregnant."

As the knee showed signs of pain late Saturday night (we had to ice it), we decided it is best if I don't ski on Sunday. The plan was Vidyut and Sarika would go snow-shoeing, and Amit would take intermediate ski school early in the day, 10am, and perhaps around noon I can go do some tubing with Vidyut and Sarika. Until then, I had my wonderful Sudoku book to give me company in the cafe that smelled of hot chocolate - awesome!

Turns out V & S got into trouble with snow shoes - they were given ski boots instead. After a lot of hassle and an hour spent trying to get poles and snow shoes, those poor souls were very exhausted, and it was 11am already. They gave up on the next adventure - tubing. I thought to myself, I can't sit here in the cafe all day solving Sudokus. Let me go do some tubing on my own.

The tubing slope at Sierra-at-Tahoe was very boring, just go up and come down in a straight line. My attention was side-tracked as I began noticing the numerous skiers coming down on the hill in front of me. I was really tempted. As luck would have it, I spotted Amit coming down at 11:30am. I almost begged to him "I so want to ski... Can I please, pretty please?!" He replied with a big knowing smile on his face "Go get dressed and meet me here at 12:30" :-) Wow, I was in seventh heaven!

The rest is history. I got into the equipment at full day price, took almost 45mins to get fully dressed, got the half day lift ticket and was on my post at 12:25 :-) sharp! Met Amit a few mins after that, and he took me up on the lifts. I had 5 great ski runs that day, all green. I debated quitting after lunch, but went back for one more long run. The run called Sugar n Spice is almost 2.6mi long, and its pretty good and has nice variations - turns, steep parts, and the easy ones too. I didn't have even a single fall, and I think Amit was pretty happy about the fact that I skied with him! Totally loved the day :-)

Yes yes, please keep this a secret from the parents. Else there will be no end to hearing about it from them. And yes, we both are certain now, it's going to be a skier baby, going to make sure it hits the slopes at 2.5yrs :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment