Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Weekend blur

Weekends with Rian go super fast, and life is almost a blur. I do my bit in capturing pictures, and neatly labeling and uploading them. Sometimes though it doesn'tcapture the essence of howmuch Rian's growing up. A few examples from this weekend that I wish to capture.

Saturday morning started as usual with a rush to run to Rian's gym class, and we got out of home at 8:50am. Rian had a majorly cranky morning, and was not very nice to Daddy. On the drive to the gym I tried to "talk" to him. Turns out he was crying because he thought we are going to school. I explained to him that Daddy must have felt really sad because of how Rian behaved, and we decided to tell Daddy two things when we reached home (1) Daddy, I love you (2) Thank you Daddy for the awesome massage you gave me. Gym class finished, we had our twosome cozy breakfast in the Sunnyvale city center (there are a bunch of tables and chairs outside), and on the drive home I wanted to remind him about the two things to say to Daddy. Fellow outright surprised me by remembering both points!

We got home and rushed out again to see the Mountain View Arts & Wine festival. We had a wonderful time strolling through Castro street. Rian walked most of it too. The highlight for him was the visit to the library and we were supposed to pick up the audio CD for Wiggles - Hot poppin' popcorn. He was excited when he saw the CD on hold and we leafed through the booklet of songs together. When we put the CD into the car and it started playing, in less than 30 seconds, Rian says - Mumma, is this hot poppin' popcorn? Turns out, I had another Wiggles CD on hold :-( and the fellow actually recognized it within a minute. Kudos to my little one.


We had a neighbor potluck planned in the evening, the first one in our community. There were 3 other kids of Rian's age. I'm a proud mumma to say Rian sat down and had almost 90% of his meal sitting next to me. I've stopped pushing him for quantity now, but I was just happy that he was sitting down next to me as long as he was eating. He asked for specific things, and tried 3 new things too. Rian was a very well behaved boy. He carried 5 of his toys, and shared with all the others. He didn't complain at all when one of the other Dadas snatched a toy out of his hand. My little boy is growing up. Now we just need to teach him to snatch his own toy back :-)

Rian's crazy about his new bicycle, and his new friend Ansh. Rian bicycled in the morning with Daddy and Mumma - all of us in our PJs :-)In the afternoon, the 3 of us bicycled the Los Gatos Creek Trail. In the evening, Ansh invited Rian for 10 more mins of cycling time. All in all an amazing display of interest by Rian. We bought his bicycle last weekend, and he's been riding it almost every single day. He's gotten very good at it already. After we were done cycling at Los Gatos, he sat down next to my bike and kept moving the pedals, keenly noticing what the pedals do to the chain, and how the gears are put in together. He was muttering to himself about "machine, cycle, goes round and round" and a whole bunch of cute things.



Rian's favorite thing to calm him down is his books (of course Lightning McQueen is the undefeated champion). Last weekend our shopathon, and today after our long bike ride, when Rian was super cranky, just plop open the "step into reading - level 1" books that we have and Rian is lost, turning page by page. I must give credit to his school here, they've nurtured his reading very well. He had moved into the 3 yr reading class while he was still in his 2 yr class. Mumma is super proud of Rian's reading.

A 3 yrs and 2 months, Rian has built 4 small Legos. These are not duplos, they are the Legos for 4+ years. Mumma and Daddy help Rian by reading the instruction booklet and finding the parts for him. But he puts them in himself. When we were making the first Lego more than a month back, we were all skeptical of his finger dexterity and things would slip and fall from his hands (they do occasionally even now), but he's taken such a keen interest to following exact directions - now when I tell him to hold the Lego with both hands and put in a piece, he does exactly that. I think he loves creating his vehicles by himself :-) His Legos are (1) Fire truck with a tow of tools (2) Aeroplane (3) Garbage truck (4) Luggage truck with a tow.


2 comments:

  1. A big Kalateeka post M, Rian is growing so big and you are making him grow perfectly, I am so glad to hear every weekend you have a routine and you make time for all these. Rian started bi cycle already..waw..I am so proud of you Rian and look those lego vehicles he made he is so smart and intelligent..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LF :-) I wish I could write about every weekend, like you do, religiously. I'm so inpired by your regular posts. Hope one day Rian grows up and reads all my posts!

    ReplyDelete