Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, April 4, 2011

Car fanatic

It's unbelievable that I haven't written more about cars and Rian. More than 90% of Rian's wakeful hours are spent with his toy cars. The boy is obsessed, just like his Dad was as a kid. Rian's car obsession started small, and his first few cars were fairly big. My memory of his first set of hot wheels is in Austin, TX from Aanya. After that, there was no stopping. Rian's nanny Cely fueled his passion, and used cars as a way to teach Rian many things. She alone must have bought more than 60 toy cars for Rian, sometimes one every single day of the week. It's no surprise by the time Rian was 2.5 yrs old, he had more than a 100 cars. Disney Pixar's Cars became Rian's all-time favorite movie, and we owe many a lunches and dinners to this movie.

Early on when Rian started speaking, he started identifying car models. This was ~a year back in March '10. Walking through parking lots quickly became a hobby and a wonderful experience. Driving was also fun, as we started pointing to various cars: which car is the grey one, and pat would come the response. Rian loves playing this car game even today. At 25 months, Rian was a pro at identifying 90% of the car makes!

As his reading improved, he started reading car makes and models. It with the make VOLVO as this car does not have a clear symbol on the back. So Rian used to identify this as "V O L V O that's a Volvo car!". Since two weeks we were reading models like Acura MDX, Toyota RAV4, BMW M3. The other day he asked me: "Mumma, V O L V O is Volvo. What is Costco?" I explained to him "C O S T C O is Costco".

The reason for today's post: Today morning I saw a big Toyota Tacoma SUV and it did not have the Toyota symbol on the back. I generally quizzed Rian asking him "What car is that Rian?". He said "Toyota". I was surprised. I asked him "how do you know, Rian?" He said: "the letters Mumma. See T O Y O T A" :-) Amazing, simply amazing. A great start to a Monday morning...

4 comments:

  1. Hey love your frequent posts.Yay I am loving it. You really made me open my mouth wide with this post..Rian is smart..ummaa..

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) thanks Seena. I guess spring/summer makes me happy and I feel like capturing these little bits of heaven somewhere, sort of save it for winter to cheer me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! your little boy is real cute and very smart :)
    Loved reading through your wonderful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words, Chatterbox, and welcome to my blog...

    ReplyDelete